Friday, September 25, 2015

Affirming Words

I’ve heard a lot of talk lately about positive thinking. Self-help books tout the speaking of affirmations as a source of health and success. No doubt, there is immense power in our words. But are we speaking the right words, the best words? Even Christian leaders are encouraging believers to wake up every morning and speak aloud certain affirmations to begin our day.

I consider myself to be a generally positive person. But I have to admit that some of these affirmations have given me pause. I feel uneasy with them. Many of them begin with the phrase “I am (fill in the blank).” And we are told to repeat the phrases in order to strengthen ourselves and impose change. I feel that if we Christians are going to incorporate this idea of positive thinking and speaking affirmations into our lives, we need to remember one vital truth: I am because HE IS.

Jesus is the vine, and we are the branches. . . . Apart from Him, we can do nothing. (John 15:5)

As I said in my last post, God has been teaching me just how important His Word is. God’s Word is life! It is a lamp for my feet, and a light for my path. So why not speak out affirmations from God’s Word, rather than these abbreviated “I am” statements? The Word of God is living and powerful . . . more powerful to impose change than anything I could come up with.

So here is a list of affirmations that I am effectively revising for my own life… and I plan to begin each affirmation with the following phrase: 

“Thank You Heavenly Father that Your Word tells me…”

I am strong à
I am strong in the Lord and the power of His might (Eph. 6:10)
The joy of the Lord is my strength (Neh. 8:10)
His grace is sufficient for me – when I am weak, He is strong (2 Cor. 12:8, 10)

I am confident à
I can approach God’s throne with confidence (Heb. 4:16)
The Lord is with me always (Matt. 28:20)
He will never leave me or forsake me (Heb. 13:5)
When I trust in the Lord I will be like Mt Zion, which cannot be moved but abides forever (Ps. 125:1)

I am happy/joyful à
The Lord has done great things for me, and I am filled with joy (Ps. 126:3)
This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it (Ps. 118:24)
God dresses me a crown of beauty, oil of joy, and a garment of praise (Is. 61:3)
     
I am healthy/healed à
God’s words are life to me – they bring health to my body (Prov. 4:22)
Because Christ bore my sins in his body on the cross, I am dead to sins and alive in righteousness – by His wounds I have been healed (1 Pet. 2:24)

I am disciplined à
I present my body a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is my true and proper worship (Rom. 12:1)
My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in me and whom I have from God. I will glorify God in my body and in my spirit, which are His (1 Cor. 6:19)
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me (Gal. 2:20)

I am valuable à
God loves me (John 3:16)
All my good deeds are like filthy rags; but despite my sin, Christ died for me and justified me by His blood (Is. 64:6; Rom. 5:8-9)
God rejoices over me with singing (Zeph. 3:17)
The Lord delights in me when I fear Him and hope in His unfailing love (Ps. 147:11)

I am victorious à
God leads me in triumph in Christ (2 Cor. 2:14)
God gives me victory through the Lord Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 15:57)
There is no condemnation over me because I am in Christ Jesus (Rom. 8:1)
Jesus has set me free (John 8:36)
When I resist the devil, he will flee (James 4:7)

I could go on and on… but this is a great start.

Let's affirm ourselves with the source of all truth – God’s Word.



No comments:

Post a Comment